We, at Heritage Preservation Atelier invite all those who are interested in learning more about Paper conservation to meet and plan our next practical workshop on paper conservation along with theoretic lessons.
Here is what we propose as an initiative. You are all welcome to add/advise/suggest further.
Duration : 2 days (Dates in the month of October and November can be suggested in comments.)
- Structure and chemistry of paper components Day 1
- Ageing process in paper, considering all the various components separately and together Day 1
- Biological deterioration of paper: Agents and how it happens at molecular and visible level Day 1
- What can be done to prevent deterioration Day 2
- What can be done to slow down the natural ageing process Day 2
- Study of inks and pigments generally used in hand-written manuscripts Day 2
- Study of print media. Microscopic and chemical study. Day 2
Identification of the print type by close examination
- Understanding the basic treatments Day 1
- Analysis of the structural components of the paper (like the direction of the grain) Day 1
- Microscopic examination Day 1
- Detailed study of the Dry treatment methods Day 2
- Detailed study of the Wet treatment methods (including the exact ways of handling wet paper) Day 2
Cost : Cost covers the material and other resources provided during the workshop. It is proposed to be 5000 India Rupees. Funding available for two deserving candidates (should not be related to or employed at Heritage Preservation Atelier).
Maximum number of participants: 5
Take away notes would be provided to all participants