When the pages have turned very brittle and there are tears, lost areas and old repairs with incompatible and damaging materials, it is not that simple to mend and rebind a book with traditional sewing technique.
Some binding procedures that cannot be performed properly or at all are:
- We cannot trim the edges.
- We can not round the spine.
- Using needle on a brittle paper is not always easy.
- The handling and steps have to be kept minimum.
- Use of glue has to be careful both in quality and technique.