Team Heritage Preservation Atelier had a challenging task of conservation of a set of books that could not be digitized by a library because of the extremely brittle pages and stuck up and deteriorated condition.
- We started with making a detailed condition assessment report.
- After initial documentation, we opened up the worn out and damaged binding and treated each and every folio individually.
- Damaged signatures were studied to figure out their number of folios and which folio needs to be joint to which other one on the other side of the signature.
- After joining the folios, signatures were gathered for sewing.
- Finally, we could digitize the books in much better way with unbound and strengthened folios, before sewing them back.
- Sewing of the signatures was done by traditional method.
- Cover was created from acid-free board. Treated book was bound back to a healthy state.