Coronation Durbar, Delhi: The Map

Condition of drawing

We received the map in a folded form. It could not be unfolded as the folds were stuck with some adhesive and it was also torn in that area because of someone trying to unfold it earlier.

  • There was some adhesive residue visible on the outside of the first fold.
  • On opening of the very first fold we found that due to the application of some adhesive, the folds were stuck to each other.
  • The fold marks had become stiff over time.
  • There were a number of tears towards the edges and along the folds.
  • The Paper was mildly acidic.


We began our treatment by testing the solubility of the ink as well as the adhesive residue. Both of which were found to be soluble in water.

The next step in our treatment was the attempt to recover the missing area which was found to be adhered onto the back of the map itself.

It was a very tedious and sensitive step that demanded utmost precision.

Next we started with the treatment of the adhesive residue.

Lastly we began treating the stubborn fold marks.

The tears were mended and the map was prepared for flattening. The map was mildly humidified under non-woven polyester web helped by wet blotters, all covered with Mylar. It was kept sandwiched in Bondina sheets and blotters before keeping under glass and weights

Please note that flattening is best when the object is left undisturbed for a length of several days depending upon the nature of the folds.


The results of the treatment were quite satisfying and were best seen on a visual comparison.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.