Info from the print
We received the map in a folded form.
- There was some adhesive residue visible on the outside.
- On opening of the very first fold we found that due to the application of some adhesive, the folds were stuck to each other. There was an attempt in past, by someone to open it up despite the stuck-up condition. So, the fold could be opened easily, but the map was torn because of the unprofessional attempt to open the stuck-up condition.
- The fold marks had become stiff over time.
- There were a number of tears towards the edges and along the folds.
- The Paper was mildly acidic.
- We began our treatment by testing the solubility of the ink as well as the adhesive residue. Both of which were found to be soluble in water.
- The next step in our treatment was the attempt to recover the missing area which was found to be adhered onto the back of the map itself.It was a very tedious and sensitive step that demanded utmost precision.
This portion of the paper was split in two along the thickness of paper. Some split portion was stuck on the other side and hence was required to be recovered. But, some three little portions had lost the back portion of paper completely, which required rebuilding for strength.
- Next we started with the treatment of the adhesive residue. There were remains of adhesive and some textile too.
- Then we began treating the stubborn fold marks.
- The tears were mended and the map was rested under heavy weights to flatten.
The results of the treatment were quite satisfying and were best seen on a visual comparison.